West 7th Street Fire Station and Headquarters
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Partnerships: Collaborative Design Group
Accolades: LEED Silver Project
With a green roof, low-flow lavatory fixtures, lighting occupancy sensors and rainwater reclamation, Saint Paul's newest fire station presents a high level of efficiency and sustainability. Built to replace two aging fire stations (circa 1885) and the department headquarters, this new facility combines all three entities into one modern building at the corner of West 7th Street and Randolph Avenue.
The five-bay fire station, which opened in spring 2010, was designed with drive-through bays so that trucks do not have to back into traffic. A rainwater reclamation system stores water in a 6,000 gallon cistern and is used to irrigate the green roof's native perennials, no-mow grasses, and vegetable garden. An educational program about the roof is being developed for children who come to the fire station on field trips.
Extensive use of daylighting in both the fire station and headquarters helps save on energy costs. The facility was designed so that future solar panels can be added. The 58,000 SF, two-story building received LEED Silver Certification.